Viracept Side Effects

Dr. Boyle, I am tiring of an endless effort to control Viracept-related diarreah. Nothing I take helps and the episiodes are up to 10 or more times per day. I've tried watching diet, Metamucil, etc.It's making my day-t0-day life so that I can hardly function. Do you have any other suggestions for me. At this point, Viracept is my only option. Thank you

Response from Dr. Boyle

If Viracept is you ronly option then you might continue to try other anti-diarrhea treatments including calcium carbonate (starting at 500mg twice daily and going up to 2500mg twice daily) with fiber, imodium, etc. I find it hard to believe, unless there is a drug access problem, that nelfinavir is your only option, since many other PIs should be effective if Nelfinavir is still and option, and you should consider discussing a change with your doctor.

nausea and others
Long term effects?