Therapeutic aspects of cannabis and cannabinoids.

Hi, my name is Nick. I'm 32 and am HIV positive as of June, 2002. I live in Toronto Canada and am married to my partner and soul mate, Jason, who is also HIV positive and taking anti-retrovirals. My HIV primary care doctor has suggested taking the drug "NABILONE", a synthetic THC medication used more for nausea caused by chemo therapy. I have mild Ashma, and I do smoke pot for anxiety and for general relaxation. I also take Effexor-XR 300MG/day, 3.0MG of Clonazapam/day. The Nabilone was suggested at 1MG in the evenings to start, and then he may titrate upwards to 1MG b.i.d, and so forth instead of me hurting my lungs with the smoke. In your professional opinion, do you think Nabilone is a good choice for someone in my position, or would you do something different with your patient? Articles on Nabilone from the British Journal of Psychiatry indicate a great use for Nabilone when it comes to issues of not only anti-nausea, but also anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues. This is information from a Dr. Philip Robson, FRCPsych, Consultant Psychiatrist and Senior Clinical Lecturer, Warneford Hospital, Oxford UK. His editorial was subject named, "Therapeutic aspects of cannabis and cannabinoids". Is the use of cannabinoid medication such as Nabilone sanctioned for such ailments in ones medical history, and do you have any success stories with any of your patients that may be on it? It seems that the UK may be a bit a head of North America in it's research on cannabinoid medication and it's labeled uses, do you think? Your feedback on what your thoughts are for the indication of me taking Nabilone as directed by my doctor, again, to avoid damage to the lung tissue but still have that THC feeling, although it is not quite the same as smoking it I must say. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time, and I hope your able to get to my query about this as I find the subject very intriguing. Thanks kindly, Nick J Davis Toronto Canada nick_jf_davis@sympatico.ca

I have cared for hundreds of HIV+ persons who either smoked pot or for whom I have prescribed Marinol (another artificial cannaboid available in the US). When used properly I have not observed any negative effects of those drugs on a person's HIV status. If abused there is concern about clouding of good judgement for safe sex/behavior but I have rarely encountered that as a problem. The reason your docs are considering use of Nabilone seem reasonable to me. KH

Diabetes and HIV
Heartburn and Numbness