stopping one med on 2 med regime

I am a 50 year old male and I thank you for your help with the Lactic Acidosis problem I had which is now gone my Lactic acic levels are now normal.The question I have now is that ever since being on medication I have suffered on and off with morning diarrhea, when my doctor took me of the Comivir,( I was taking Sustiva & Combivir) too try and stop the Lactic acidosis which worked he put me on Kaletra 8 pills a day and Sustiva 3 pills a day but I have recently started having diarrhea again am am afraid to leave the house until noon or 1 pm so as not to get in sudden need of a bathroom and none being available,anyway my doctor has suggested that I might stop the Sustiva to try and curb the problem he has left the decision up to me and just take the Kaletra would this be a wise move as I understand that it is better to take 2 drugs in a regime and I am worried that as the Sustiva in my bloodstream goes down the hiv may build resistance to the Sustiva which would mean I would not be able to use it again. My latest tests were cd4 283 viral load undetectable, sorry this is such a long drawn out question but I have tried to put in everything I can.

Response from Dr. Bartlett

I share your concern. If your diarrhea predictably occurs in the morning, how about taking Imodium or Lomotil first thing? For some of my patients who can anticipate diarrhea, this strategy has worked wonders. If you elect to stop the Sustiva, I strongly suggest that you substitute another agent at the same time, perhaps Viramune, another NNRTI.

Update on patches
Thrush and Stress