Just started - nausea, nausea

I had to stop treatment after just 6 days due to persistant nausea, jaundice, and high bilirubin level of over 5(a ten-fold increase). I was taking combivir, reyataz, and norvir. My question is what do you think was causing the nausea, the AZT or the bilirubin?

I have good CD4 counts (above 800) so I am going to go off treatment for now. When I need to go back on what would be a good combination to prevent a reoccurance of the nausea? I don't think I want to take Reyataz again, but I am resistant to all non-nucs. Are there any less toxic nucs for those of us who get so sick on combivir?

I would suspect that the AZT or Norvir might have contributed to the nausea. Kaletra or ritonavir + phosamprenavir would be a good anchor for your next regimen along with several NRTIs (but not AZT perhaps)such as 3TC or FTC and ddI or abacavir. I often prescibe Marinol or Reglan during the first month on treatment until the stomack settles down. KH

I am allergic to protiase inhibitors
spontaneous coronary artery dissection in HIV + Pt.'s