I developed a rash from Sustiva, what's next?

I started my first treatment with Sustiva and Combivir on 1/1/04. I woke up with a rash on 1/10/04. I understand my next step would be to try Viramune and if that doesn't work then it's on to a P.I. I'm really worried that I may run out of options. I'd like to avoid P.I.s as long as possible because of the side effects. Could I try Sustiva again in smaller doses, rather than 1 600 mg at night?

A rash early on with Sustuva is quite common-usually we treat through it with benadryl/tylenol/fluids and observation (depending on severity). Most of the time the rash subsides over several weeks. If the rash is severe then nevirapine is one of many options that could be tried in place of Sustiva. Many of the newer PIs have less side effects than the older drugs or formulations. KH

Yellow Fever
Diarrhea from ARV