Does oral chelation interfer with meds?

I recently found out that have heavy metals in my system (excess lead, arsenic mercury and tin. As these agents are probably adding additional burden to my immune system I will be starting oral chelation with DMSA. Do you know of any possible drug interactions with Viracept or COmbivir? Since this agent binds only to metals or minerals, (and I think that Viracept and Combivir have none), I think I should be ok but just wanted to double check before I start this chelation process.

Response from Dr. Conway

Meso-2, 3-dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) is a sulfhydryl-containing, water-soluble, non-toxic, orally administered metal chelator that has been in use as an antidote to heavy metal toxicity since the 1950s. More recent clinical use and research substantiates this compound's efficacy and safety, and establishes it as the premier metal chelation compound, based on oral dosing, urinary excretion, and its safety characteristics compared to other chelating substances.

If you and your doctor have decided to go ahead with the DMSA treatment, I would say that it is highly unlikely that there will be an interaction with the HIV medications in the body. However, I would not be certain that the DMSA would not interfere with their absorption in the GI tract. Therefore, I would recommend that the DMSA on the one hand and the Combivir and Viracept on the other be taken 2 hours apart.

Moon-face Lipodystrophy
Yellow Fever