Re: treatment during acute phase

You recently stated you are of the thinking that it is beneficial to start treatment during acute phase and to continue treatment for 1 year. My question is whether you think there is a danger to continuing treatment beyond a year when started in acute phase. I am currently taking Sustiva, 3TC and Tenofovir 1X a day with no serious side effects. Started 18 months ago and have had 100 compliance. Viral load has been undetectable for over 15 months, CD4s average 600-700, 43-48. My current doctor does not want me to stop treatment. My question is whether I am making it more difficult to eventually go off treatment if I don't stop close to the "1 year" suggested stopping time after starting during the acute phase? Does the longer I stay on treatment make it more problematic to stop? Also, are you aware of an upcoming 2 pill a day regimen that will make the current 3 pill a day regimen even easier, and hopefully a bit more affordable? If so, is this something I should be able to switch to given my current regimen?

Response from Dr. Conway

There is no short term risk to continuing treatment as long as you are adherent to it, thus avoiding the development of drug resistance.

Otherwise, we are obviously not sure of teh long term metabolic or physical (lipodystrophy/lipoatrophy) consequences of HAART, so do keep a close eye out for this.

As far as a simpler regimen goes, Gilead is deveoping a combination pill of Tenofivir and Emtrcitabine (a drug like 3TC), and this could make your regimen even simpler than it is.

Good luck....

Fatigue with low testosterone
Moon-face Lipodystrophy