Sustiva and Driving

Greetings from London where this site is read with great interest. Thank you for all the help and support that you and the other doctors give to so many readers.

I'll soon be starting my first HAART regimen which will consist of Combivir and Sustiva. Given the side effects that can occur with Sustiva (particularly initially), are most patients usually able to continue driving? I drive about 15km to work and back each day and am wondering if it'll be safe for me to continue doing this.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Response from Dr. Conway

Thanks for your kind comments about the site.

The most common side effects with Sustiva are vivid dreams and sleep disturbances. As such, the only issue I could see with the driving is that if you become so tired that you can't focus on the task at hand. This is quite rare, though, and most people can continue driving quite normally when they begin Sustiva.

That being said, the side effect, if it occurs will be most severe within the first days of therapy. I might suggest that you plan to begin treatment at a time when you won't have to drive for a couple of days, just to see how it goes.

Good Luck!!!

Deca Depression
Fatigue with low testosterone