Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Acute retroviral syndrome timeline: Need real information
Dec 24, 2003

On August 1, I had protected sex with a prostitute. It lasted only about 15 seconds and no oral sex was performed . 4 days later, I had a white spot on my inner my cheek, and it was itchy . It resolved in 3 days by itself, and 7 days after sex, I had a fever with swollen tonsils, night sweats and difficulty swallowing(even my own gum), and it lasted one week. It was very severe, I was in bed for 1 week. There was no diarrhea or stomach pain. On August 3, I had protected sex, and a white spot developed August 7, then on August 10 tonsillitis, August 15 felt better, August 17 totally recovered. What do you think ? I read that ars usually occur 2-4 weeks after exposure and if it is by blood transmission it can occur within 1 week . Can anybody get HIV from sex and have symptoms 1 week after? and did you ever see anybody get HIV from protected sex?

Response from Dr. Conway

Acute retroviral syndrome usually occurs within 2-6 weeks of the event that led to the transmission of infection. Symptoms are often generalized (with fever, myalgias, weakness), but a sore throat with enlarged lymph glands is often present. Neurologic and gastrointestinal symptoms are also seen quite commonly. A fine red rash may or may not be present. Left to themselves, the symptoms will most usually resolve in a matter of 5-15 days.

It is certainly possible for the symptoms to develop within the first week after expposure, but such early symptoms would make me think more of other STDs, such as gonorrhea, chlamydia or syphilis. However, if one of these may have been transmitted, I would also make sure that HIV was not also transmitted, and that the symptoms have nothing to do with the latter event.

As for the possibility of transmission during protected intercourse, the likelihood is lower, but condoms break or leak, so one can never exclude transmission just because protection was used.

Previous
Confused about videx/viread interactions
Next
Joint Pain

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.