hyperpigmentation question

I am currently taking Combivir and Sustiva(about 6 weeks),I have noticed some dark patches of skin on my forehead. Do you think the AZT component of Combivir could be causing this? Should I talk to my doctor about switching to Viread. I tolerate both meds pretty well and have seen an improvement in my CD4 count and a drop in viral load. I am frustrated with the condition of my skin. I am black American by the way. Please advise. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Boyle

While changes in skin pigmentation can occur with zidovudine, it is a leap for me to say that the spots you are experiencing are related to that drug, especially since I haven't seen them. See your doctor and ask him/her if the spots are related to the drug or to some other cause (e.g., dermatitis, fungal infection, etc.) Switching to Viread is not a bad idea anyway, since your regimen could become a once-daily regimen if you do that and is likely too have decreased long-term toxicity associated with it, and you should discuss this with your doctor too.

high red blood count and blood clots with reyataz
Confused about videx/viread interactions