insomnia

I have been + for the past 11 years. Am on viread/ziagen/reyatax/norvir/acyclovir./entocort for bowels. I am unable to fall asleep and to stay asleep-get about 2 hours sleep a night.I have never had these sleep problems in the past. Makes me agitated/restless/irritable/etc. Have tried abien/elavil/oxepam-no successes. How effective is Trazodone and what doseage would you suggest. Thank you.

I can't tell from your note how long you have had the sleep problem in relation to when you started your current HIV drugs. I often suggest some over the counter meds (melatonin 3 mg and/or benadryl 25-50 mg) +/- a low dose of amitryptiline (10-25 mg). Trazadone can be helpful at a starting dose of 50-100 mg. A review of all of your meds by a pharmacist and your HIV doc is also a good idea. KH

Severe Nausea and Heartburn
Therapy without a Protease Inhibitor