pancreatitis

Help!! I have recently developed a severe case of pancreatitis!! Symptons: diarrhea, severe abdominal pain and weight loss. I also seem to have lack of circulation in my feet. I have been HIV positive since '98, VL presently <50, CD4's: 470. Present combo is Ziagen, Viread, Epivir, & Sustiva. I also take blood pressure meds: Lotensen, & Adalat and Lipitor for cholesterol, as well as Megestrol for increased appetite, and Triamterene (a water pill). My doctor wants to hospitalize me, and stop meds; to give my bowels a rest, and use IV fluids. Are any of these meds causing/exacerbating the pancreatitis? What would you recommend for a switch in treamtent protocol, when I restart meds? I know I cannot resume Ziagen if I stop taking it. Thank you for your aid and assistance

If you are not having a hypersensitivity reaction then Ziagen can be stopped and restarted safely in most cases. I assume your triglycerides are not elevated or that you have no gallstones or other causes for pancreatitis? The rate of pancreatitis from 3TC is very low but not zero. Tenofovir has been rarely associated with pancreatitis. The issue of whether to stop your HIV meds depends partly on your baseline CD4 count and HIV level (since stopping therapy begins a process of returning to those levels). Megestrol and some of your other drugs might aggravate that. I would have a pharmacist and your HIV doc review all of your meds. KH

IL-2 & liver function
what meds are right for me?