Persistent Diarrhoea - will treatment help or make it worse

Hi

First to say that this forum is such a blessing. It has provided so much useful information and insight to me over the past while.

I was diagnosed +ve in April this year - likely to have been infected about 2 years before that. On diagnosis my CD4 was 395, 19%, VL 31,000. I've had my labs monthly since then...and CD4 is on a steady downturn now is 243, 20%, VL 11,000

Throughout this time, symptoms have been getting worse...(fatigue, bladder infections etc) Most difficult is that for the past three months I've had perisistent diarrhoea...had lots of tests but show no signs of infection... My doc says it could be an indication of how HIV is progressing in my body rather than a treatable gastro bug.

I'm due to start treatment at the end of this month and am about to discuss what combinations would work best. My question is...(finally)... given this diarrhoea is there a combo that is less likely to exacerbate it? Or is it likely with improved immune function (whatever the combo) that the diarrhoea would disipate over time?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Conway

Thanks for your comments about the site.

As long as all appropriate tests have been done to rule out another treatable condition, I would definitely go ahead with HAART.

To tell you the truth, the only drug I would not consider for you is nelfinavir for which the main side effect is...diarrhea.

As far as a choice of treatment goes, I would favor a once-daily, low-pill count combination, of which there are many choices.

Good Luck.

Acute spinal painal pains
Allergic Reaction to Antibiotics