Confused about videx/viread interactions

I started treatment in December 2002, with a combination of Sustiva, Epivir and Viread. I switched to Viramune from Sustiva two months later because I couldn't handle the way it made me feel. My viral load became undetectable in June 2003. With my last test, however, my viral load was 100, and my T cells dropped to 781 (from 820). My doctor, who is a well-respected HIV specialist, believes I have developed a resistance to Epivir and has made the switch to Videx EC (250 mg). He said I can continue to take my combination once daily with a meal. However, everything I read says I should not take the Videx and Viread together, and that Videx should be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after a meal. I'm so confused about what to do. Can I take all my medications (Viramune 2-200 mg tabs, Viread 300 mg, and Videx EC 250 mg)with my dinner? What should be recommended in order to reduce complications/side effects and increase the probability of success?

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Conway

I agree with your doctor. You can take everything at the same time. When the Viread/Videx interaction studies were done, there were a number of very clear results:

1. When you take the two drugs together, you MUST reduce the dose of Videx to 250 mg/day.

2. The food requirement of Videx is removed. You can take it with or without food.

There is great benefit to being able to take a limited number of pills once a day to treat HIV infection. Using the combination of Viread/Videx is one way to make this model real for people like you.

No worries to be had here...

Odd feeling in Arm
Acute spinal painal pains