Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

splenomegaly
Nov 30, 2003

I have an extremely enlarged spleen, the size of a football. My doctor and a surgeon are recommending I have it removed. I am HIV+ and have no other opportunistic infections. I have an appointment tomorrow to see a N.M.D. and the surgery is scheduled for November 3rd. I was wondering if you might be able to recommend any types of alternative treatments I might try in the meantime. Example, bathing in aromatherapy oils or herbal baths or any particular herbal tea I might drink. Also, would you recommend any castor oil packs. My doctor said this condition is not due to my meds and my CD4 count is 158.

Thank you,

Sincerely, Cynthia

Response from Dr. Henry

I don't know of any alternative meds that would help hypersplenism. You should considered getting thoroughly vaccinated prior to the splenectomy. Also-CD4 T-cells counts are very hard to interpret after a splenectomy. KH

Previous
allergy
Next
gentle deodorants

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.