The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Plastic Surgery NIGHTMARE!!!
Nov 8, 2003

Please advise... I am a 30 year old hiv+ male. My vl=undet, tcells=600. I am currently receiving treatment for my hiv. However, i have accumulated some fat in my breat area that I believe is the result of my meds. I have going to a plastic surgeon to have this liposuctioned. After going in for my consultation and getting ready to hand over my 3500.00 to have the surgery, he is refusing to do the surgery because of my HIV status. He claims that I am not healthy enough. I have never had any hiv related diseases and have been in perfect health for the past 5 years. I have tried calling other plastic surgeons and they are refusing the surgery too. This is VERY frustrating to me since I feel that since this is an elective surgery that means it is my choice to have it. I am aware of complications from the surgery but it seems that the doctors feel they are better suited than me to decide what is in y best interest. Are there any doctors anywhere that would do this procedure for me??? Or am I wasting my time and effort? Would I have better luck going to another country to have this procedure? Any advise would be very helpful.


Response from Dr. Henry

Your HIV doc should be able to help you locate an HIV-friendly plastic surgeon. Gynecomastia can get worse and then better over time--hard to understand sometimes. Have you had a hormonal evaluation (testosterone, prolactin,etc). The test positive aware webset ( has had some good articles on plastic surgery in the setting of HIV. KH

Anti Diarrhea Shots
sexual dysfunction

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint