Atazanavir

I reside in Sydney, Australia and have a brief question regarding Atazanavir. I am aware that it is new and that there is not a lot of information out there on it and hope that you might be able to assist.

Gas, yes Gas!. Lots of it, farting, burping and really bad smelling! Sometimes even painful in the gut area. Its great!I love it! But it really is not very social! I have spoken to my people down here but to no avail, and have tried De-Gas which works OK but my main question really is, are there certain food groups I need to stay away from? I havent been able to pin point anything so far.

Many thanks and look forward to your response.

Nicholas

Response from Dr. Conway

This is, indeed, a new drug and all the information is not in on it. In the clinical trials, the side effect that you describe occurred in <3% people on Atazanavir (although the incidence was not zero). Are there any other drugs you are taking that might be causing this? in particualr, if you are boosting the Atazanavir with Ritonavir, this may be doing it.

One other thought. It is possible that some gastrointestinal condition (such as a giardia infection) may be causing the symptoms, and this may have nothing to do with your drugs. It may be worth doing some stool tests to be sure.

Please advise!
Side Effects LT Survivor