feeling stoned

I have been on Sustiva and Trizivir for a year. This is the first cocktail I have been on.

Some mornings, about once a month, I wake up feeling stoned and bizarre. At times, I can't feel my forehead. It's a feeling comparable to being hung over. To snap out of it, I have tried coffee, sugar and rest but the feeling remains. Do you have any advice to make it go away ?

Response from Dr. Conway

I addressed a question similar to this last week. There was a recent study of 37 individuals who were on Sustiva-based therapies, had undetectable viral loads and had side effects such as yours. They changed the Sustiva to Viramune, by adding Viramune at 200 mg/day for two weeks, then increasing the Viramune to 400 mg/day and only then stopping the Sustiva. There was 1/37 that had liver problems that immediately improved when the treatment was changed to Trizivir. The other 36 did fine, and the side effects disappeared in 24/36 cases.

If you change to Viramune, there is now information to suggest that it is highly likely to help, and it won't affect your viral load.

lipids going through the roof on PI therapy
Re: What will be my 3rd regimen?