What will be my 3rd regimen?

I am 47. I have been poz since 1988. I started treatment in 1998, entering a blind study containing Viracept, Combivir and Sustiva. The Sustiva was a placebo. My T cells have never dropped much below 400. When during the study the RNA rose from undetectable (38) to an un-acceptable level (50,000) in 1999-2000, I switched regimens and am now at 4 years taking Videx, Rescriptor, Zerit and Fortovase. (21 pills daily) and have in the last few years started Pravachol & Lisinopril (Up to 23 total pills plus vitamin tabs). Over the years, I have only missed 10 doses of the bulk of the meds...but have missed maybe 40 doses of the Videx. It's hard to take it on an empty stomach (usually during the night) I am a midnight snacker. Currently my VL is 23 and to my amazement my T cells have climbed to 940. Chronic fatigue occasional diarrhea some leg pain and night sweats seem to be my main annoying symptoms. Lifestyle and income adjustments have reduced stress with work. I have never been ill enough for disability or had the desire to begin that. Facial wasting of course has occurred, and I no longer look or have the energy to be as young as I would like to feel. My question is what would be a logical next regimen for me? My genotype test says my virus is still resistant to all current meds available. (Even the ones I failed!). Thank you for a thoughtful response.

With your treatment history it would be surprising for you HIV virus to be resistant to all available meds. If your HIV level is < 50 then they usually can't determine the resistant pattern though old resistant virus may be lurking below the surfact. D4T and ddI are not often used together any longer due to concerns about toxicity. Your HIV doc would be the best person to discuss a possible switch/simplification of your HIV regimen. These days we don't usually start therapy if the T-cell count is > 400 so there is also the issue of what the drugs are doing for you or to you. I can imagine a number of simplified regimens to consider depending on specifics of your case (such as Trizivir + Atazanavir/ritonavir= 5 pills/day). KH

muscle weakness from combivar
Just started on Kaletra and Combivir