My Buffalo Hump

I am a long-term survivor of HIV who was infected back in 1983. Most of the meds have worked well for me, but when I was taking Crixivan a few years ago, several things happened. I lost all my body hair, body fat, and developed a buffalo hump that although is nowhere the size it used to be, still causes me to have headaches and neck pain. Is there anything that will help me get rid of this extra fat? I am currently taking Atazanavir, Videx and Epivir. Gerry in San Francisco

I have referred some patients to an HIV-user friendly plastic surgeon with acceptable results. Use of some oral diabetic drugs for lipodystrophy is under study by the ACTG (study # 5082). The ACTG is also looking at use of testosterone for increased fat (#study # 5079). Growth hormone has been studied and may confer some benefit as high cost and with some of its own side effects. There is not much data on how fat-friendly your current regimen is (at least chances for not making things worse). In some studies aging, time with HIV infection, and persons with lower CD4 counts (at the low nadir point) are at increased risk--one can't do much about those variable. As you can tell-there is no easy answer but consider discussing a surgery referral with your HIV doc. KH

alopecia from medications
Side Effects LT Survivor