Naltrexone

I have been infected with HIV and HEP C which I acquired on the job for about 6 1/2 years now. I had to finally stop working last year and unfortunately I am a recovering alcoholic. I recently got myself back in treatment and AA and seem to be on track but am still taking Naltrexone. The doctor in treatment put me on this for craving but I have also read were it has also been promising in fighting HIV/AIDS so I continue to take it. Do you know anything about this? Thank you, Glad to be sober,:) Karen

Response from Dr. Conway

In the pre-HAART era, a number of approaches were tried to treat HIV. Naltrexone was felt to be an immune enhancer, and seemed to help in some patients, but there is very little controlled clinical trial information. In the era of HAART, there has been little or no further work that has been done. The use of HAART when needed is far more important to your long-term health than naltrexone. That being said, it is not hurting you, and since it may be providing some benefit (quite apart from reducing the cravings), you can keep taking it as long as your doctor thinks it is all right.

And I too am glad you are sober.

Treatment working?
expired medications