Treatment working?

I was diagnosed with HIV 6/02, CD4 count initially was 34, VL was 250,000. My meds were Sustiva/Combivir. My doctor put me on Sustiva/Epivir/Viread this past June thinking that might boost CD4 count which was 150, VL undetectable at that time. He said my white blood cell count when I started treatment was low and that the AZT in Combivir might be supressing my white blood count, thereby supressing my CD4 count, hence the treatment change. My most recent lab had my CD4 count at 140, VL undetectable. He says I'm doing fine. Is it more important for the VL to be low than the CD4 count to be higher? My last three labs had CD4 count at 154,150,140, VL undetectable in all three. Why is it I read guys on the same treatment with 500-600-700+ CD4 counts?

Response from Dr. Conway

My advice is to hang in there. The viral load tells us that the treatment is working as well as it can. If you are adherent and not having significant side effects, you're doing great.

The CD4 count was very low when you started, indicating severe damage to your immune system. It may take a long time to return. Many of the people with CD4 counts of 500 or greater are those who started treatment with CD4 counts in the 200-350 range. You may yet get there, it will just take longer.

moving to diabetes after 10 years of meds thanks
Naltrexone