Chemo and Anemia

Hi Dr.:

I have been positive for 3 years and being treated for KS for the past 2 by chemo (started with Doxyl, switched to Taxol, bad reaction with Doxyl. My Dr. said I am a little anemic, not "horribly" but enough (sorry, don't have the number) but I wondered if this would be why I become VERY short of breath when doing "simple exertions" ie:running up the stairs, playing tennis (I feel like I am sucking air)and just overall tired. I am on Depo Testosterone 1cc/week I believe. Other meds include Ziagen, Epivir, Viramune. Any thoughts?

Thanks! TGS

Response from Dr. Conway

The antivirals you are taking do not generally cause anemia, so, unless there is some other cause, it is reasonable to think that the KS treatment is the cause.

Many would not think of playing tennis as "simple" exertion, so it appears that you have to expend a significant amount of energy to cause the symptoms. This should clear as soon as the cycle of treatment for KS is stopped. However, if it does not, erythropoietin has been used to get around this issue and boost the hemoglobin levels.

TIME TO ACT IS NOW!!! PLEASE POST!!! :-)
Kaletra side effects