Lack of Libido a Major Concern

I am a 45 year male. I tested HIV positive in 1987. I may have been positive before then. I started antiviral therapy in 1996. I have been on several drug therapy combinations. I currently take Combivir and Viramune. Other meds include: Lisinopril 20 mg. BID; Androgel 1 in a.m; Triamt/Hctz 37.5/25 mg. in a.m; Oxandrin 2.5 mg. BID; Wellbutrin SR 150 mg. BID and a multivitamin. My CD4 is always 500-600 and viral load undetectable. I eat a proper diet, excercise, my blood pressure is under control, depression is managed (also see psychotherapist); my doctor says my testosterone level is normal (I had been on 200 mg. injections of testosterone every 2 weeks) and life is going good. I am healthy. I have developed peripheral neuropathy within the past year affecting hands and mostly feet. My exasperation is my lack of libido. It has been declining over the past 5 years to almost nil at the present. On a good day (which is very infrequent, maybe once a month) I would rate a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale of feeling like a sexual human being. At those times I can get and maintain an erection with great difficulty. Ejaculation is very prolonged. I can take Viagra and get an erection. That is so planned and staged though, just going through the motions. There is a total absense of sexual desire and lack of drive. I refuse to accept this condition. I used to be a very sexual gay male. Now, it's as if my brain nerve impulses or hormonal system are not working properly. I realize I am not 18 any longer and there is no fountain of youth. The virus, antivirals and aging process may have all contributed to my asexual existence. It is a quality of life issue now. The question is can anything be done to correct the situation or must my life be lived as a eunuch?

Thank you for your time. Signed: Out Here on the Kansas Prairie

In Minneapolis I would refer someone like your self to the human sexuality program at the U of MN for an evaluation since you already have all of the basics seeminngly covered. Side effects of some depression meds can decrease libido (usually wellbutrin not too bad for that) so an alternative drug might be considered empiracally. Oxandrin can also aggravate that sometimes. I would see if there is an HIV/gay friendly sex therapist available somewhere in your area for a consult. KH

Weight Gain - Adomen
meds that cross blood brain barrier