Are meds causing fatigue and drop in HCT?

Dr: My son is 20 years old and recently infected. He was put on meds b/c of his recent exposure and will be on them for 1 year at that time his doctor is hopeful to take him off meds. Anyway, he is tired alot of the time ~ I believe this is b/c of the medication. Will the symptoms of fatigue stop once his medication is stopped? Otherwise he is in very good health except for the fact that his HCT dropped from 45 to 38. I wonder also if this is b/c of meds or HIV? Thanks in advance for your response.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Fatigue usually resolves with discontinuation of antiretroviral therapy, especially if the patient is on zidovudine (AZT). Based on your son's HCT drop and the popularity of Combivir (which contains AZT), I suspect he is on that drug. The fatigue should be evaluated by his doctor and if nothing else is found, changing his antiretroviral regimen (especially if it involves AZT) may be helpful. Also, acute drops in HCT may cause symptoms and while his HCT is still ok and your son should get used to that level over time, if fatigue persists or the HCT drops further, I might consider a trial of erythropoietin to bump it back up and see if that helps.

Combivir/Viread/Saqniavir/Ritonavir?
Kaletra Long Term