extreme itching

I've been HIV positive for over 18 years. For the past three to four years I have gotten what seems to be allergy related bumps that itch so bad that I even itch them in my sleep. They appear twice a year. Usually in April and again in September/October. I have gone to a few different doctors and they all seem to think they are mesquito bites. I find it extremely odd that no one else in my house gets them and that they occur like clockwork every year. I have tried everything for relief but nothing works. My doctor gave me some Triamcinolone acetonide cream when I first get them and some bactroban cream after I scratched to infection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Nondescript bumps are tough to diagnose when you seen them, let alone when you don't. There semiannual nature suggests that bug bites are a possibility, but a local reaction to something you're putting on or wearing at that time of the year is also possible, as are many other diagnoses. I'd suggest that the next time you get the problem you see you doctor immediately and if he/she can't tell you definitively what they are and how to treat them, go see a dermatologist.

Long-term Viramune Effects
Combivir/Viread/Saqniavir/Ritonavir?