Follow Up on Side effects

Dr Conway:

I saw you mention in Oct 13 post that there are minor side effects that patients realize after they stop treatment. The requester had noted fatigue and depression. Is that the effects that you were referring to? Do these side effects kick in from the start or over time? I have been on kaletra, viread and emtriva for 3 full weeks, and am feeling more tired now than before beginning therapy. I am treatment naive, pos test this year, neg last year, with high vl (300K+) and rapid declining tcells (last count at 250).

Response from Dr. Conway

Yes, I was referring to issues such as non-specific fatigue, mild depression, and mild nausea, mild bloating...Things that came on so slowly that the individual may not have noticed them, and simply got used to them. However, when the treatment is stopped and they go away, the person feels better.

In your case, you just started on treatment. It will be important to figure out if something else is going on to account for your fatigue. You should have some blood tests done to see if you are anemic, or if there have been any changes in your liver function tests. If these are OK, you may be experiencing some non-specific early side effects of treatment that may go away in the coming weeks. If they do not, then maybe you need to talk to your doctor about another treatment, but give it some time (as long as your bloodwork is OK).

Good Luck...

Are meds causing fatigue and drop in HCT?
Endocarditis for Years ??