is the use of steroids to treat wasting and weight loss really safe in the long run?

I am posting this question again since whent the first time I submitted it when I hit send my computer went blooey! I have been hiv positive for about 9 or 10 years with one bout of PCP about 7 or 8 years ago. Recently I have been diagnosed with lymphoma and am currently being treated for it with chemotherapy which is called ABVD. My question is this: I have been using oxandrin for weight loss as prescribed by my doctor for a while now with some breaks in between when I was ill with a cold or flu or something. Could that have contributed to me being diagnosed with lymphoma? I know that hormone therapy has been linked to a number of cancers. If I keep using oxandarin wile on chemo will it make the lymphoma more difficult to treat or make me more susceptable to recurrence? I think I heard somewhere that medical lore frowns on the use of anabolics or hormone therapy when a cancer has been diagnosed. I also use androgel as my testosterone level is pretty low, is this safe also while on chemo? If its not recomended for me to ust the oxandrin, is there an alternative for me to use? this is all very important to me, when I was on the oxandrin I looked and felt better about myself. Since I have been off it I have lost a total of 17 lbs and the facial wasting that I was getting wasn't as pronouced. All I know, like I said, is that I looked and felt better and obviously that's a quality of life issue for me but I don't want to take the chance if I continue taking the oxandrin while on chemo for it to interfere with my treatment or increasing my chance of reccurence. Please help. thanks Gusta67

Response from Dr. Conway

I'm very sorry to hear about your lymphoma, and I hope the chemotherapy goes as well as possible.

The oxandrin did NOT cause your lymphoma, so banish this thought from your mind. As to whether you can still use the oxandrin, this is a question you should ask the cancer specialist, as it becomes an issue of whether your it will interact with your cancer treatment. There is also controversy about continuing HAART during chemotherapy. It is clear that weakening your immune system by stopping HAART may hurt your body's ability to help fight off the cancer. So you should continue the HAART if at all possible.

Once again, good luck...

Discolored Ejaculate
brain fog and depression