Side effects of T-20: flu like symptoms, cough, weakness, fatigue ??

Three months ago I added Fuzeon (T-20) to my HAART (Epivir,Viread,Tipranavir,Nor-vir,Invirase).After a month I came down with flue like symtoms which lasted for about 2 months.The worst part was a total weakness in my muscles and a feeling of permanent exhaustion. A week ago I stopped the injections and it seems Im starting to get better, but Im still not sure, if the Fuzeon is to blame. Have you heard of any simular reports of patients, who are injecting Fuzeon? All the symtoms I had where listed in the information material, which came with the medication.On the other hand I read, that only a very small number of patients dropped out of the studies. Im looking forward to your answer. Thank you very much for your help. J. B.

Almost every patient on T-20 gets some injection site reactions while in only about 5% of cases are they severe enough to cause the patient to stop the T-20. A small % of patients < 1-2% get an hypersensitivity like reaction with systemic complaints. Your experience doesn't sound exactly like that either but if I were to guess that is what I would be concerned about. If that is the case T-20 might not be a good fit for you. If a careful rechallenge causes the symptoms to return then that firms up the T-20 as the cause--I would discuss with your HIV doc. KH

STI with Tricivir
is the use of steroids to treat wasting and weight loss really safe in the long run?