change in viral load test

I have change my medicines from Epivir, Zerit, and Invirase boosted with Novir to Epivir, Abacavir and Stocrin (Sustiva) in October/2002. In January, I did a viral load test and the result was indetectable (<400 /mL) and CD4=765/CD8=1563. In July/2003 I did the viral load test again and the result was 81 copies/ml and CD4=713/CD8=1080. My question : Is the treatment failing? or could this level of viral load could be temporary? Thanks

Response from Dr. Conway

My first answer is: Don't panic. Is it possible that your adherence is not 100%? Is there anything you could do in this regard?

Otherwise, it is possible that the previous value of <400 and the current reading of 81 are the SAME number. An undetectable value does not mean the virus is gone...it simply means that the amount of virus in your blood is too low for the test to accurately count. IT IS ALWAYS THERE...

Your CD4 count is still good. See if you can work with your doctor to find a way to take all your pills reliably. On your current regimen, you could be taking them once a day. Otherwise, I would advise that the viral load be monitored monthly. If you are truly failing your regimen, the viral load will rise quickly.

Good Luck.

Food Restrictions for Viread
peripheral neuropathy with regimen change