Oct 7, 2003
I am 34 and was diagnosed one year ago. With four blood work-ups under my belt my CD4 has been consistent and averaged 818/29. My viral load has been 170k, 115k, 150k, and most recently 490k. My doctor has stated that I should start medication by the end of this year.
Can you share some thoughts on these combo's and provide your comments...I guess I am looking for "second opinions" for piece of mind.
My doctor has given me several combinations to review. I am healthy otherwise with no chronic or family issues. I of course am lost in a sea of information and opinions. The two options that I am leaning toward is a combo of Kaletra & Combivir or Trizivir & Sustiva. I have also looked at a combo of Sustiva/Epivir/Viread.
Response from Dr. Conway
All of the combinations you put forth are excellent ones and will work if you take them. If I were you, the key questions I would ask myself are these two:
1. How and when do I want to take my pills? Is once a day important, or is twice a day OK? Do I need to take any of the pills fasting or with food? Does this combo meet my expectations?
2. What is the most frequent and/or severe side effect of each of the medications in my combo? If it happens (and knowing that it will go away when I stop the medications), how will this affect me?
Of course, the issue of long-term toxicities must also enter into this, but there are so many unknowns now that our knowledge may well have changed a lot by the time this comes up for you.
Intense symptoms: Will HAART make them go away??
- Itchy Skin After Anal Sex Condom Broke Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Thrush After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Can Hepatitis Cause Excessive Saliva At Night?
- Can You Have Surgery If You Have Aids?
- Countries Who Require Hiv Tests For Working Visa
- Cut By Clippers At Barber Shop Hiv Risk
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.