Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Which Combo?
Oct 7, 2003

I am 34 and was diagnosed one year ago. With four blood work-ups under my belt my CD4 has been consistent and averaged 818/29. My viral load has been 170k, 115k, 150k, and most recently 490k. My doctor has stated that I should start medication by the end of this year.

Can you share some thoughts on these combo's and provide your comments...I guess I am looking for "second opinions" for piece of mind.

My doctor has given me several combinations to review. I am healthy otherwise with no chronic or family issues. I of course am lost in a sea of information and opinions. The two options that I am leaning toward is a combo of Kaletra & Combivir or Trizivir & Sustiva. I have also looked at a combo of Sustiva/Epivir/Viread.

Response from Dr. Conway

All of the combinations you put forth are excellent ones and will work if you take them. If I were you, the key questions I would ask myself are these two:

1. How and when do I want to take my pills? Is once a day important, or is twice a day OK? Do I need to take any of the pills fasting or with food? Does this combo meet my expectations?

2. What is the most frequent and/or severe side effect of each of the medications in my combo? If it happens (and knowing that it will go away when I stop the medications), how will this affect me?

Of course, the issue of long-term toxicities must also enter into this, but there are so many unknowns now that our knowledge may well have changed a lot by the time this comes up for you.

On another note, many would NOT start HAART until the CD4 count is in the 200-350 range, so you may wish to be very clear on why you are thinking about starting in the near future.

Previous
pml questions
Next
Intense symptoms: Will HAART make them go away??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.