I have lost all the fat on my body

I am 30 yrs old and have been positive since 1990. In '93 I started on drug therapy. I was on Invirase, Zerit and Epivir. I have lost all the fat on my entire body. (Face, legs, arms,chest etc.) I am now an Viread and Combivir. I was wondering if this trend in losing fat and muscle will continue on the new regimen? If so what can I do to try to stop it or at least slow the progression. I am healthy as a horse according to the doc. Everything seems to look very good. Help.

P.S. are there any other side affects that I should be concerned with with the new regimen?

Thanks for all your help. M.H. in New Mexico

Response from Dr. Conway

I am sorry to hear about your significant lipoatrophy. The prognosis for this is unclear, but the drugs you are now taking are not statistically associated with its progression (at least in most studies). There is no proven treatment for this, but there are a number of possible options you could discuss with your doctor.

On your current regimen, I would say that if you have been on it for a few weeks or more and are tolerating it, you are virtually home free. The zidovudine component of the Combivir is the one I would be most worried about, as long-term side effects (including anemia) may well occur. However, you could easily do fine.

I wish you good luck in dealing with the lipoatrophy.

Meds and recreational drug use
Help with HIV Med advice