follow up on kaletra q today

Dr. Conway: That person asked you a question that you did not answer. I have asked it before of other doctors and do not seem to get a response. Like that person, I have been on kaletra for a week or so. If I go off the kaletra in a few weeks or months (when vl get down) will I or could I develop resistance to it if I need to go back to use it later? Thanks Kevin

Response from Dr. Conway

In general terms, if you go off any drug (Kaletra or any other) at a time when your viral load is undetectable, it is highly likely that you will be able to restart this therapy at some future time and gain full benefit from it. In this setting, the drug will have cleared from your body long before the virus starts to return. Thus, there will be no viral replication of virus while the drug is still present in the circulation...and hence, no resistance.

I hope this addresses your question.

re: for wasting
Endocarditis for Years ??