Viread side effects

I have been on a combination of Agenerase, Kaletra, Epivir,and Zerit for over three years. My T-Cells remain between 350 and 500 and my viral load stays undetectable most of the time. About every 9-12 months, however, it becomes slightly detectable 100-500, but then goes undectable, again. At my last visit, though it was undetectable my doctor took me off Zerit and substituted Viread. He had done a genotype and found that there was a slight resistance to Zerit at a certain point. I am 50 years old, positive since 1989, and my t-cell count has never gone below 300. His goal was to stop this slight blip in my viral load every 9-12 months. My problem is that Viread makes me feel very sick. I have muscle aches, nausea, and a strange sense of disorientation, as well as strange, vivid dreams. Worst of all my energy level has dropped dramatically in these two weeks. I could cope with the side effects of the former combination, but I'm wondering how long I can cope with this. I've never had an OI, so I'm wondering if putting me on Viread wasn't an overreaction to what appears to be a normal pattern for me. (I posed this question to another forum, but this one seems more appropriate). Thanks.

Although Viread enjoys a reputation as a generally well tolerated medication (that has been by general experience) there is a small subset of patients that have very annoying/bothersome side effects like yours that didn't seem to be highlighted/discussed in the early studies. A switch from the 3TC to FTC or from tenofovir to abacavir would be other options I might consier (as well as AZT if you can take that). KH

PN man can't jump
Suppository ......A possible method of taking meds