Smallpox Vaccine & HIV Repression

I have read a small piece on a limited study conducted by researchers at George Mason University. They tested blood samples of a small group who recently seroconverted to administration of a smallpox vaccine, and introduced HIV into these samples. Their results showed either no growth or dramatically inhibited growth of the introduced HIV. While we know that the smallpox vaccine is not specifically intended to diminish HIV infection, any form of repression would be a good idea, protection is protection regardless of its intent. I am considering asking my physician to write me an order for the smallpox vaccine, I had mine almost 35 years ago and feel a new introduction of this vaccine could strengthen my immune response to smallpox, thus maybe assist supressing and or eradicating the HIV levels I currently have <500. I would like to try this in addition to my regular treatment protocol of Trizivir and Sustiva. Do I risk anything by doing so other than lost hope for something to work? Thank You ...your friend from the Pocono Mtns....

That was an interesting report. I don't think that concept is ready for prime time. I would not advise use of smallpox vaccine in HIV+ patients outside the context of a careful clinical study for the time being. KH

Kidney problem Viread
Donepezil (Aricept) continued use for ADC