side effects because of d4t

dr henry

thank you so much for your quick reply.

doctor iamreally worried about the side effects of d4t .

at present iam tolerating my meds well .

doctor if in the next six months if my vl comes to 50- 100copies/ml can i request my doctor to change to other combination .

or doctor can i wait for long time say six months more then change .

doctor iam really worried . pl help me which way i should go . please reply .

D4T is still a good drug. There are still problems with other drugs that you might be switched to. The major problems with D4T are a perhaps higher rate of fat loss, higher plasma lipid levels, and a higher rate of pancreatitis,lactic acidosis,and neuropathy. Many patients do well on D4T without any of those problems. Azt for example has lower rates of those problems but higher rates of GI intolerance and anemia. D4T is also cheaper as a generic in some areas so that is a potential advantage. You are on a good regimen which is a blessing. A discussion with your HIV doc is encouraged. KH

diarrhea
liver cysts