Liver problems

My brother has been HIV positive since before 1989. In 89 he was diagnosed w/PCPpnemonia. Since then he has lived w/AIDs and many opportunistic infections.. MAI, KS, etc. Most recently he had Testicular cancer and they found a tumor like thing in his bladder too, whih was removed. He has responded well to most of the inhabitors & cocktails over the years.. They were even optomistic w/the cancer, however he is now in the hospital w/some kind of liver problem.. he is very sick and his eyes are yellow.. his billirubin has been going up 3.0 to 6.5 now it's 9... they have been unable to biopsy the liver because his blood is not clotting, they are currently giving him plasma to get the blood w/in exceptable limits to do the liver biopsy.. He is only 40. My question is what can be going on w/the liver?? Is this how liver cancer presents? Liver failure or Liver toxicity.. At this point we would just like to know what this could be..

Please let me know your thoughts... THANK YOU

Response from Dr. Boyle

It is hard to say what is going on without seeing all of the tests that your brother has had, but all of the problems you mention are possible. Lab tests, a CT scan, a liver biopsy and possibly other tests should help to define the problem and it sounds like the doctors are on the right track.

Strange dropping of T-cells
side effects