Med regime

My helper went cells went from 784 to 908, viral load from 2027 to 6154-had been on viramune 200mgmg BID and kalectra 3 caps BID.After a geno type my dr. has now put me on Ziagen 1 QD/Viread 1 QD/Raathaz 3 caps QD and norvir 1 QD. This seems like a lot of meds to take-have been + for 14 years now.Is this the correct treatment/ the number of meds? Do these meds have a higher side effects of diarrhea? I had diarrhea in the past and am nervous to start another rigime since the diarrhea is presently under cntrol.

Your HIV doc is the best person to work with you on the choice of medications. If you have persistent viremia on a viramune regimen then you probably have developed resistance to the NNRTI class. Your past treatment history,past resistance profiles,past intolerance to drugs--all are important in making a decisio about the next regimen. If your CD4 count has at one time been low (i.e. < 200-350) then continued treatment if often recommended whereas if your low CD4 count is > 350 some would reconsider the use of treatment. If you have been on NRTIs in the past and have developed NNRTI resistance then use of more meds is often needed to have a real chance for persistent high level control of viral replication. KH

Triomune side effects
This could be just a side effects?