Scary first night on Sustiva

Took Sustiva for the first time last night. (Taking Tenofovir and Epivir in the a.m.) Have been off all HIV drugs for 27 months but now viral load has gotten over 100,000 so Dr. and I selected this regimen.

As usual woke up about 2a.m. (I have GERD for which I take Prilosec before dinner and often have this happen...usually take some Gaviscon and am fine.)

I woke up in a total panic. I was in the middle of one big hallucination. Nothing appeared as I knew it. Colors bizarre, picture frames hanging in mid-air instead of on walls. Totally unable to get to the bathroom by myself and even not sure if I had urinated or not. I have never taken acid or other hard drugs, in fact even small amounts of pot have sent me into panic mode.

Was freaked at the thought that I could spend even 24 hours like this. My partner's presence and calm was the only thing standing between me and a 911 call.

Took some long expired Benadryl that I had. Slept most of the night and got up several times in the night feeling less panicky and less dizzy, but still dizzy and spacey during the day, but able to function. No strange dreams that I remember.

Took my other meds this a.m. for the second day, but not sure what to do about the Sustiva. If I'm not going to be able to take this drug long-term I don't want even one more night like last night!

thanks for your prompt response.

That is very common during the first several weeks on Sustiva. I often prescribe lorazepam or trazadone for the first month for patients exhibiting that effect. Switching to taking the Sustiva in the morning can help some. A recent nice ACTG study presented in Paris found that after one month persons taking Sustiva were usually doing quite well from the central nervous perspective. KH

rayataz and axid
Low HDL and high L-Carnitine