Long-term Side Effects?"Toxic Trauma?"

Dr., I have been off all HIV meds for about two months due to, too many side effects. I am now experiencing problems with my abdomin, and more body pain and serious fatigue. Is this something that could be permanent? I have been on and off drugs for 15 years and never had things "linger" like this. My counts of course are "bad", but are there obvious effects of the virus that act up, or am I just another casualty of the "toxic nightmare" we HIV'ers never wake up from??? Thanks, Dave- (Aids18yrs), Would like 18 more!

Tough to say what is contributing to your symptoms. Advanced HIV/AIDS clearly is associated with many GI problems, weight loss, diarrhea, and pains. For most of the HIV medications if they were contributing significantly to your side effects then stopping them results in some improvement (though that can take months and some side effects may not reverse well such as advanced neuropathy). Evidence has suggested that it is often better to be on some HIV meds for a given low CD4 count than off meds (some hard to quantify benefit) though that is now well worked out. Also, stopping meds is associated with a more rapid drop in CD4 count and greater risk for AIDS complications but sometimes the virus (during the drug holiday) may partially (and temporarily) revert to a more drug sensitive form which many facilitate response to a salvage regimen (debate over that). Some use mega-HAART in late state disease (> 5-5 drugs) which I find can work but is tough to tolerate. We need better new drugs and we need to get smarter. KH

life cycle
rayataz and axid