Reyataz and diabetes

I have just switched to Reyataz plus Norvir. My blood sugar has gone above 200 and I cant drop it down. I am diabetic on maximum dosage of Glucophage, Avandia and I have just added Prandin. My sugar levels were normal before the new medication. My H1c has been always 5-6. My viral load has been detectable and I needed to drop the virus to undectable levels. I dont know what to do. Please suggest something. Thanks

Response from Dr. Conway

Reyataz is an inhibitor of hepatic metabolism of some drugs, and is know to increase blood levels of some drugs such as antidepressants, statins (Lipitor, mainly) and, yes, Viagra. it would thus increase their potency rather than reduce it. In any case, there are no drug interactions reported with the medications you are taking to control your blood sugar. Further, increases in blood sugar were not reported as a significant side effect of Reyataz in any of the studies that were done before it was released.

Norvir is an even more potent inhibitor of hepatic metabolism than Reyataz, so I would not expect it to reduce the potency of any drugs you were taking. If anything, it would increase the drug levels and make them more active. However, diabetes is a known complication of Norvir therapy, so if a drug effect is present, this is where I would look first.

rayataz and diabetes
Unexplained "floating neuralgia"