Meds Simplification

I'm currently taking combivir, viramune and viread. My viral load is undetectable and my T cells are in the 700s. My doctor said that I will more than likely be on this regimen with great results indefinitely. I keep hearing about these "one-a-day" pills. Is there anything I can take to simplify my regimen or should I stick with what I'm doing?

Response from Dr. Conway

Excellent response to therapy!!!

A combination that would consist of epivir, viread and viramune could be taken once a day (5 pills). For you, this would be conceptually simple, as it simply consists of stopping the AZT. Other once daily combinations that are quite simple consist of Viread, Videx-EC and a non-nucleoside drug (Viramune or Sustiva) can be as few as 3 pills/day. If you give the Viread and Videx-EC togehter, you can reduce the Videx dose and can give it with food, due to the pharmacoikinetic interaction with Viread.

There are many options that you can discuss with your doctor that would allow you to take your pills once a day while not sacrificing any downstream options.

On the other hand, it sounds as if you are tolerating the regimen you are taking, and it sure is working...You know what they say about something that isn't broken???

Life is a series of choices. You are fortunate that all the choices available to you are good ones. Talk to your doc.

Fatigue/Trizivir
Side effects or insanity?