Bowels have a mind of their own

It appears as though my bowels have their own agenda over the past month. I had stool samples tested for parasites but the results turned out negative. Since then I eliminated milk and all lactose containing products but to no avail. Irregular movements and extreme flatulence have become a daily occurence.

I have been on meds since being diagnosed last year September 2002 during my acute infection. As a result I was put on meds immediately due to the timing of my diagnosis. All has been fine until this past month. I have been experiencing abnormally high amounts of gas and abnormal bowl movements. My stool test came back negative. I east fish vegetables and fruits, avoiding milk products because I am lactose intolerant. I take a multi vitamin both morning and night. I have started taking fiber in the morning to normalize my movements.

I am on Viread, Epivir and Viramune. Non detectable viral load since March 2003. Last CD4 counts was 843.

I am at a loss at what to do with what is a very embarrassing issue.

Your thoughts...

One of your HIV meds could be causing your GI reaction though that is a diagnosis of exclusion (nothing else can be found). I assume you have been to a good GI doc for their opinion. You could discuss with your HIV doc the possibility of switching off one of your meds at a time (replacing it with an equally or more potent drug) and then observing what happens to your GI complaints over a 4 week period. A treatment interruption is another option as a way to see if the meds are causing the problem. KH

Desperate in pain
itchy skin and hair loss - fungus?