Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Enroll in a Clinical Trial if INfected!!! Please Post!!!

Dr. Boyle,

I applaud you for all your efforts against this virus. I was just wondering if you could post this email as a reminder for all infected individuals to do what is necessary to take charge against this virus and that is participate in the nearest clinical trials. As I'm sure you're aware (and trust me I am not referring to you..you do more than enough, I refering to the many people with virus who do nothing so that advances against this thing can take effect); people have become too complacent about participating in local clinical trials.

And guys, we're never going to beat this thing if you don't participate in clinical trials. Yes, we have come far but not far enough. So if you're (16, 25, 34, 46, 57, 60, 0r 75) and have the virus) do us all a favor and be brave and the honorable thing) take part in a clinical trial that you qualify for. And if you don't look into another one that you do.

This is the one thing I can do to help others with the condition. If we all do this, then we will overcome. But if we don't try we don't get noticed. We need new medicines right (more potent, less toxic, and less problematic). We want to live normal lives. Some people die for their country, some people die for nothing, others die for less. Many lost souls died for no reason on 9/11. Until we cure this virus or bring it under control, all us infected are living 9/11 over and over ever single day. Do yourself a favor, join me in a crusade to make positive advances against this disease. Join a clinical trial. Don't give up. We have numbers, now we need the effort!

I, for one, am looking into the Clinical Trial in New York at Cornell with IL-2. Why not, if it saves one life maybe someone, somewhere enrolled in a clinical trial can make my life better too.

Dr. Boyle, feel free to make any comments to this email.

And white people this means you too. We are failing in enrolling in clinical trials miserably. The minorities are doing the call, now its our turn! Please stay well.

Mr. James In New York City

Response from Dr. Boyle

Thanks for your message. I agree that we need more research done regarding HIV and HIV treatment and that requires that persons living with HIV be willing to enroll in these trials. While I understand that many people don't want to be a "guinea pig", these trials, especially those conducted at major universities like Cornell (where I am), are designed to be as safe as possible and have to be approved by an Institutional Review Board (IRB). They are also constantly monitored for problems or adverse events, and should something unusual occur the study may be revised or even stopped. In addition, the benefits of clinical trials are not always one sided since enrolling in a trial can also provide significant benefits to the patient for example by making available medications that are needed, but not yet approved, or by providing additional support and monitoring. So, I agree with your message that we need more trials and we need more persons willing to enroll, but I, and I am sure you, also recognize that trials are not for everyone. Still, your message that clinicians and patients should find out about the local trials that are available and discuss these options for care is an important one.

Medivir 310 -- Where is it ???
Enroll in a Clinical Trial if Infected!!! Please Post!!!