Lack of solid bowel movements.

Docs, I have a rather emabarassing situation that I am sure is more common than most would like to admit. My problem is that, without at least a daily (usually two) dose(s) of Imodium AD; I cannont make it through the day without obvious discomfort and mad dashes to the restroom. I have consulted my PCM (Primary Care Manager) and she said that since the bowel movements are fewer than 9 or 10 times a day, it is not medically considered an issue. I have been given a prescription for Imodium, but would like to know if there is another way to prevent or stop this. I cannot be a guest or entertain them for too long without disappearing for a few minutes, every once and a while. My friends are empathetic. I have tried variations in diet, exercise and the such. My last counts were very good; my viral load is at about 17,000 and my CD4's are at 425. I am not on meds. Is there a way to stop or at least lessen this? Please help.

-jds

I assume you have had a complete history and physical examination including stool analysis, gallbladder function,evaluation for infections, lactose intolerance, pancreatic insufficiency-etc. I would often refer to a GI specialist. Often they would first want the person to increase their fiber and water intake for several weeks/months if the standard work-up is negative. KH

What can cause an increase in male prolactin levels with my antiretrovirals?
Help in Skin fungal dermatitis