Late Seroconversion

Dr Henry, After experiencing several severe symptoms (fatigue, diarhea, weight loss) after a potentially risky activity, I was tested at 7.5 weeks with an ultra sensitive viral load test and also an antibody test, both of which came back negative. The doctor I was working with told me that the negative viral load test indicated that my symptoms were not caused by HIV. I felt great for a few months after that. However, during months 5 and 6 after my potential exposure, I developed a very mild pink rash over a large area of my inner thighs that did not itch. It was more noticeable late in the day, but hardly noticeable in the mornings. This lasted for approx 2 months, got a bit more severe at about 7 months, then eventually it has now seemed to have gone away. I had a brief mildly red rash under both armpits for a 1-2 days at 7 months also. Could these rashes have possibly been a late sero-conversion? Is the rash associated with HIV only evident during sero-conversion or during ARS? Or can the rash associated with HIV become repeatedly evident at various points of time after infection? Thanks for any clarification.

It is extraordinarily unlikely that your rash is related to HIV. If you want relief from your anxiety, repeat the antibody test. If the rash is bothering you, discuss with your doc or see a skin specialist. KH

AVS
u are doing a wonderfull job