Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Urinanalysis results

What is the significance of having traces of leukocytes and ketones in my urine? All other parts of the urinalysis were apparently normal. My doctor told me that he is "concerned" but did not elaborate, and has scheduled more labs in a couple of days. My non-fasting blood sugar is usually above normal (sometimes as high as 200), but my doctor said that he doesn't want to initiate treatment for diabetes at this time. I am taking Trizivir, oxandrin (20 mg daily) neurontin, metoprolol, & lipitor. Your opinion is valued. Thank you.

Ketones in the urine can be a sign of high protein diets, diabetic problems, starvation, dehydration, alcholism--many things. If mild the value is often minimal and non-specific. Luekocytes in the urine can indicate the presence of an infection in the urinary tract so often a urine culture is obtained and a clinical evaluation is performed. KH

Switched to Viramune
i don't know what to explain