Coronary HAART Disease

I have been on the same combo since testing positive in March of 2000, Epivir, Sustiva, & Zerit. There is a history of coronary heart disease in my family and at 45 I have outlived my father by ten years. Inasmuch as I have known my risk for heart disease for some time, I have for the last 20+ years exercised regularly and watched my diet (average intake of fat, 30-40 grams/day. My cholesterol and triglycerides were always comparatively elevated even given my fat intake, but they have been unusually high due to my medications,even while on cholesterol lower drugs such as Tricor, Lipitor & Zocor, etc. It should be noted that my combination therapy has successfully suppressed the virus three years running and my T-cells are above normal. Now for the kicker..... Recently, I was taking a routine stress test and suddenly found myself hoisted onto a gurney headed for catheterization, angioplasty and a stent.

Now, given this scenario, what is a boy to do? Im becoming concerned that my heart is going to give out before my HAART?

Response from Dr. Boyle

In your case, I would find as heart friendly a regimen as I could and this would likely include nevirapine (Viramune), lamivudine (Epivir) and tenofovir (Viread). You should discuss whether this regimen is still an option for you. Since you have had lipid problems on your current regimen, I would clearly not continue it. While efavirenz (Sustiva/Stocrin) is generally pretty easy on the lipids, some patients do experience problems with it and stavudine (Zerit) has also recently been implicated in lipid disturbances.

Unexplained Temperature Spike
stages of aids