Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Effectiveness of med combo
Jul 6, 2003

I was recently diagnosed hiv+. I have been taking sustiva, viread, and epavir for 30 days now and have been feeling great. Much better than before starting the meds. My viral load was 215,000 and tcell 185. I will be going for viral load count and tcell count blood work in a couple of weeks to see if they are working. Is this a good combo of meds and if they are working, how long can I expect them to work? Is it possible to be on the same meds for 10 - 20 years?

Response from Dr. Henry

That is a good combination with some mof the best published results of HIV activity out to 3 years. Once a person reaches a viral load below the detection limit of 50 copies then the long term control of the virus is good if adherence is near perfect. If there previously was imperfect adherence or a history of failure with a regimen then long-term control may be more of a problem. Some reason studies have predicted that persons who are doing well (undetectable virus levels without a history of failure) may continue to do well for > 10 years. We still have only 6-7 years of experience with the more potent regimens so predicting the future is problematic but there is reason to be confident that many persons will do well for > 10-20 years. KH

Previous
shell fish
Next
starting therapy while working as flight attendant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.