Histoplasmosis

I am HIV+ and have been diagnosed with histoplasmosis. I am taking Sporanox after Amphotericin treatment. My VL is undetect-able with Combivir/Kaletra combo at the present time. Is this a good regimen?

Response from Dr. Boyle

It is an excellent regimen and probably one of the more potent regimens available. You should get many years of use from it if you take it exactly as your doctor directed you to. You doctor shoudl monitor you lipids (cholesterol and triglycerides) since those may rise with Kaletra and should monitor you hemoglobin levels since those may fall with AZT (in Combivir), especially in patients with more advanced disease. Also, your doctor should be aware that Sporanox (itraconazole) can increase Kaletra (lopinaivr/ritonavir) levels and since higher levels may be associated with more problems with tolerance and toxicity; however, this is unlikely to be a signficant problem.

very worried about a friend off of meds
Outlook on this cocktail